Maria Lorena Lehman
Artist. Designer. Author.
Maria Lorena Lehman, recipient of the Harvard University Digital Design Prize for the "most creative use of digital media in relation to the design professions", creates sculptures and paintings described as "visual poetry of motion that is a new inspiration" by Daniel Smith, the company that creates watercolors for artists worldwide.
Adaptive Sensory Environments by Maria Lorena Lehman won a Silver Medal Nautilus Book Award in the Creative Process category. The book presents a cutting-edge methodology for adaptive sensory design. Established in the United States in 1998, the annual Nautilus Book Awards recognize books that are conscious catalysts for positive change toward a better world. Previous winners include Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson, and His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
About MLL Atelier
MLL Atelier, LLC is a studio practice creating research-driven projects at the intersection of art and architecture, with specialization at the frontier of human potential, aesthetic beauty, and phenomenology of space. Founded by Maria Lorena Lehman, this innovative studio practice creates spatial poetics not experienced before, by finding new interdisciplinary connections between a multitude of fields, including: neuroscience, physics, captology, and philosophy. MLL Atelier wins awards for projects and publications internationally, while also disseminating artworks and subsequent research-based outcomes worldwide.
ON MARIA LORENA LEHMAN'S METHODOLOGY
I create art to sense, interpret, and inspire the world. In turn, this feeds new discoveries and questions into my sensory research which can then be applied to digital, architectural, and urban environmental design. As a result of these findings which I publish as books, such environments evolve — unfolding to reveal new world realities that call upon me to create art once again. Thus, the process continuously repeats.
My research methodology and creative process by phase are as follows:
(1) Observation: Literature/data review, experiential journaling, and communication to help me observe reality.
(2) Creation: Art creation to deeply sense, interpret, and inspire the world.
(3) Conceptualization: Multi-sensory design conceptualization which I derive from discoveries and questions embedded within my art creations.
(4) Application: Dissemination of my multi-sensory design findings that evolve digital, architectural, and urban environments in ways that create a better world through my teachings as courses and book publications.
(5) Evolution: A new world reality is created, and I repeat this process again.
The time is ripe to continue pushing the boundaries of what environments can do to uplift quality of life for the evolution of humanity and the planet. MLL Atelier aims to channel the vision of Maria Lorena Lehman in exciting ways to help guide our future toward highest potential trajectories through the ever-expansive realm of art and design.